Sunday, May 11, 2008

Leaving the Building

But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

After reading John 17, analyzing verses 13-19, and doing a Lectio Divina on verse 17, we answered three questions:

1. Who are we?
  • Not of this world (v 16)
  • Sanctified by the word of the Father (v 17)
  • Sent into the world (v 18)
2. What might we look like at this time next year if we become who we are?
  • Weekly meals together at Red Car, with a bunch of people sitting at one big table, laughing, eating, telling stories, and sharing life. Others in the restaurant keep glancing over at our table, wondering what it is we have. The servers linger at our table, drawn by the something. More than a planned and scripted gathering, the meals flow from intertwined hearts and lives.
  • Spontaneous care for one another, listening for God's prayer list and praying at the moment. Keeping our hearts with each other's hearts and caring person to person.
  • At the weekly bible studies, any person can teach the passage because all are zealous and ready.
3. What can we do this next year to participate with God in making that a reality?
  • Come to the gatherings, in Room 202 and elsewhere, for we can only be community in person.
  • Form accountability pairs, who call one another each week and remember each other before God.
  • Hold a weekly "hat-pull" for SAY leader; in other words, each week any person in the room may be called upon to lead the first movement of our study (a bit scary, but it will be okay, really).

No comments: